Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thing #2: Pointers from Life Long Learners

The 7-1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners:

I feel that there are a handful of these habits that come easy for me.  First thing is teaching and mentoring others.  After 40 years of teaching, this pretty much has become second nature to me, not just in the classroom, but in my everyday life.  I am able to take some of the simple lessons I learn from my teaching and even from some of my young students, and use them them in providing advice to family and friends.  Additionally, I find that by teaching others helps me to teach myself.  Which brings me to my next habit of having confidence in myself as a competent learner.  That's one of the wonderful things about my profession is that I don't think there is a day that goes by where I don't learn something new.  Whether it is something simple or complex like learning how to start a blog - I try to challenge myself everyday.

Now, one of the hardest habits for me is beginning with the end in mind.  Many times I get so caught up in going from task to task that I don't step back to see my individual accomplishments.  I think if I start looking at each task individually instead of a multitude of tasks as a whole,  I won't get so overwhelmed by all of the things I want to achieve as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment